There is nothing fun about accidents and the fact that a person may die or be rendered completely useless is a serious cause for alarm. However, for some reason, people take the issue of safety on the roads lightly.
Today, I’ll be sharing facts about accidents around the world so people will understand the reality of accidents and death. We can’t take the issue of road safety lightly, basically our lives and the lives of others depend on it. This article is just a reminder of how many people are dying daily due to road accidents. We’ll be looking at the facts below:
- Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day, leaving up to 50 million people injured.
- Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
- Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
- Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world’s roads, on average over 1,000 a day.
- Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030.
- Simply wearing a seatbelt reduces your risk of a crash-related death by about 50 percent. That’s a lot (please wear your seatbelt!!!). Men are 10 percent less likely to wear their seatbelts than women. (Men have you heard? Go women!!)
- The most dangerous drivers are young men.
- Motorbikes are especially vulnerable on the road as motorists regularly fail to see them, and intersections are the most likely place for a motorcycle accident to occur.
- In Nigeria, 79,875 cases of road accidents were reported between 2013 and 2015. Of this number, Ogun leads the pack with 6,422 while Jigawa is the least with 725.
- In 2013, 29,494 accidents were recorded, While in 2014; 25,427 and 2015; 24,954.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) 11, 363 road accidents were recorded in 2016. i.e. 2, 673 people died in road accidents in Nigeria between January and June 2017. Implying that about 15 people died daily from January to June.
Car Accident percentage by Experts..
These numbers are quite alarming yet these facts are not shared to scare anyone, but frankly, people die daily as a result of road accidents and innocent people also die because of others’ recklessness. I hope somehow this made someone decide to be more cautious while driving on the road. Have a fun-filled and safe Christmas… Bye!!!
Scene of an accident.
Scene of an accident involving a luxury bus, trailer and tanker at Ugbogui Village along Benin-Ore Express road