Both of them made it to the list of top ten nominees for the highly coveted 2018 edition of World Car of the Year award. Few weeks ago, both of their names appeared again on the list of the top three finalists for the same award. Point being made, these two are no ordinary vehicles. To have their names featuring on both lists at all, then there is something to both of them that a lot of their segment contemporaries do not possess.
But when it comes to the baddest amongst the two, we are almost as confused as you are at which of them should have it. So join us as we pitch them against each other -the 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar and the 2018 Volvo XC60.
While both are very similar in a good number of ways, they still have unique features that make them differ from each other. The Velar is known for combining off-road capabilities with luxury while the XC60 has it with luxury and highly distinctive safety features.
Point Scorers for the Velar:
- Powertrain: 380-horsepower, supercharged 3.0-liter V-6, 332 pounds-feet of torque; eight-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive
- Fuel economy: 18/24/20 mpg city/highway/combined
- Key features: Terrain Response 2, quad-zone automatic climate control, air suspension, powered front seats with massaging, active locking rear differential, two 10-inch touchscreens, a 12-inch driver display, perforated Windsor leather seats, a 360-degree camera system
Point Scorers for the Volvo XC60:
- Powertrain: 316-hp, turbocharged and supercharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, 295 pounds-feet of torque; eight-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive
- Fuel economy: 21/27/23 mpg
- Key features: quad-zone automatic climate control, air suspension, powered front seats with massaging, automatic parking system, Pilot Assist II, perforated Nappa leather seats, 360-degree camera system.
Generally, we cannot exactly pick out the better one of these two. The Velar is very luxurious and its infotainment system will make your head reel. The XC60 also doesn’t lag in terms of its luxury but not up to the Velar. So for luxury, the Velar wins. For off road capability and better handling, the Velar also has it. But for safety, which is the most important factor to consider when picking out a car- we give the XC60.
To get a better winner, I suggest that you wait till the World Car of The Year is announced at the New York Auto Show next week. At least, that result will be subjected to the scrutiny of over a hundred car judges.
Spoiler alert- There is a third car on the list; the ‘2018 Mazda CX5’. Let’s just hope it doesn’t beat our two favorites to the price. But then again, May the best car win!