World Car News #Update
And the winner is…..
Since the first lists were released in January, the anticipation and enthusiasm to know what car would be clinching the coveted WCOTY award this year has been unmatched. With the contenders being three high end SUV namely- Volvo XC60, Range Rover Velar and Mazda CX5, the competition was a really tough one. Yesterday however, Volvo XC60 outclassed its contemporaries and won the award making it the fourth major award the Swedish firm has won in the last year (the highest any automaker has won in such a time frame).
Over the past few months, the Swedish firm captured the North American Utility of the Year and the Japan Car of the Year for its XC60 SUV, and yesterday, at the World Car Awards high profile prize-giving ceremony to open the New York International Auto Show, that same XC60 won the World Car of the Year. At the Geneva auto show earlier this month, Volvo CEO, Hakan Samuelsson had won the World Car Person of the Year also. One can easily say with the foregoing trend, that it is indeed Volvo’s year.
- The Range Rover Velar which was placed among the contenders for the WCOTY won the award for World Car Design of the Year.
Winners in the other categories include:
- The Nissan Leaf which picked up the award for World Green Car,
- BMW M5 which captured the award for World Performance,
- Audi A8 which grabbed the World Luxury trophy
- Volkswagen Polo received the World Urban Car award.
Three of the trophies and their winners will be on display at a special World Car stand celebrating the winners at the London Motor Show from May 17-20.